The newly released Sony a7 III body is now available for pre-order. With 4K HDR, up to 120 fps 1080p 100mbps recording, the latest autofocus updates, and 10 fps stills shooting, what’s not to like?
Announced Monday evening, the Sony a7 III brings many of of the a9 and a7R III features to the standard a7 body while keeping the price quite reasonable at $1,998 and is expected to begin shipping April 13. As a refresher, here are the specifications we’re looking at:
- 24 MP BSI full-frame sensor, 14-bit raw output
- New image processor promises 1.5-stop improvement
- 4K HDR video oversampled from 6K full pixel readout at up to 30 fps in S-Log2 and S-Log3
- 14-stops video dynamic range, 15-stops for stills
- 1080p at up to 120 fps at 100 mbps
- Z Battery allows 710 images on single battery charge
- 10 fps stills shooting with active AF/AE (silent or mechanical shutter)
- 5-stop, 5-axis in-body stabilization
- ISO 100-51200 (expandable to ISO 50-204,800 for still images)
- 693 phase-detection, 425 contrast-detection autofocus points with 93-percent coverage from a9
- AF works down to -3
- Eye AF
- No anti-aliasing/optical low-pass filter.
- 177-JPEG image buffer
- Joystick control and touchscreen
- Dual SD card slots, one with UHS-II support
- USB-C port
- 1 lb. 4 oz.
- Pre-orders available now for $1,998